7th of December
Today’s advent calendar is sponsored by VFN member business, Lenka Schäfer_Finclub.
The holiday season is a whirlwind of festivities, joy, and often, a dash of stress. But fear not! You can breeze through Christmas with your sanity intact and your health thriving. Here’s a simple guide to practice mindfulness, boost your immune system, and stay cool amidst the hustle and bustle.
- Mindful Moments: In the midst of holiday chaos, take a breather. Pause and practice mindfulness. It could be as short as a few deep breaths or a moment of silent reflection. By grounding yourself in the present, you’ll find a sense of calm amidst the storm.
TIP: When the holiday chaos feels like a tornado of tinsel and wrapping paper, channel your inner Zen master. Imagine you’re a holiday ninja, dodging stress like it’s a snowball fight. Breathe in the festive air (or gingerbread scent) and exhale the chaos like you’re blowing out the candles on a stress-free birthday cake. Remember, you’re the captain of your calm ship, sailing through the sea of seasonal serenity! 🎄✨
- Prioritize Self-Care: Amidst the gift-wrapping and festive preparations, don’t forget to prioritize yourself. Take time for activities that bring you joy – whether it’s reading a book, taking a warm bath, or enjoying a cup of tea. A happy you is a healthier you.
TIP: Declare a ‘ME-moment’ and don’t forget to lock the door behind you! Hop in a bubbly bath and take some bubbles in a glass with you (or a cookie and milk). 🍪🥛
- Support Your Immune System: Boost your immune system to fend off winter bugs. Ensure you’re getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, and eating a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Consider adding immune-boosting foods like citrus fruits, ginger, and garlic to your meals.
TIP: Homemade garlic & lemon Immune Booster:
5 organic lemons, 20 cloves of garlic, 1 liter of water. Finely chop lemons with the peel, also chop the garlic, and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Let it cool, strain it, and pour it into a bottle. Drink a shot on an empty stomach every morning for 3 weeks, then take a week-long break before repeating the cure. Keep the bottle in a cold place. 🍋🧄
- Stay Hydrated: With the winter chill and indoor heating, it’s easy to forget to drink enough water. Keep a water bottle handy and sip throughout the day. Hydration supports your immune system and helps combat the fatigue that can come with holiday multitasking.
TIP: In the winter hydration game, make your water bottle your BFF (Best Flask Forever). Keep it by your side like a trusty sidekick, reminding you to hydrate between holiday shenanigans. It’s the superhero of sips, battling fatigue and boosting your immunity. Who needs a cape when you’ve got a water bottle? 🦸♂️💧
- Simplify Your To-Do List: It’s tempting to tackle a thousand tasks at once, but sometimes less is more. Prioritize your to-do list and focus on what truly matters. You’ll find that accomplishing a few meaningful tasks is more satisfying than racing through a never-ending list.
TIP: What you enjoy the most about Christmas ‘obligations’ should take up 60% of your energy and time. 🔔✔
- Embrace Imperfection: Perfection is overrated, especially during the holidays. Accept that not everything will go as planned, and that’s perfectly okay. Embrace the imperfections, laugh at the mishaps, and remember that the joy of the season comes from shared moments, not flawless execution.
TIP: OK, I know… this is hard for many of us. I, alone, grapple with perfectionism and undiagnosed OCD 😃 So, no tip for this one. And please, if you have one, tell us!
- Weather-Proof Your Well-being: Winter weather can bring its own set of challenges.
Dress warmly, get some sunlight when you can, and consider supplementing with vitamin D if needed. Taking care of your physical well-being will positively impact your mental health.
TIP: Even though it’s rainy and grey outside, we live in Vienna— a city with its own charm, rain or shine! Embrace the Viennese spirit, go for a walk, and breathe in the fresh air. Consider opening all the windows in your apartment or house every morning and before going to sleep to let in that wonderful city vibe. ❄️🌟
- Delegate and Ask for Help: You don’t have to be a holiday superhero. Delegate tasks and don’t hesitate to ask for help. Friends and family often appreciate being involved, and sharing the load lightens everyone’s burden.
TIP: Turn Christmas planning into a festive family affair by hosting ‘Santa’s Workshop Summits,’ transforming chores into candy cane challenges, creating a North Pole map for Santa’s route, and even making wish-lists a game with riddles – because the family that plans together, laughs together in holiday harmony! 🤶🎅
This Christmas, let mindfulness be your guide, support your immune system, and remember to enjoy the festive season. By taking small steps to prioritize your well-being, you’ll not only stay healthy but also savor the magic of the holidays without losing your cool.
Wishing you a joyful and stress-free Christmas!
Your Lenka xx