9th of December
As the first snowflakes gently cover the world outside our window, our family joyfully dives into the heartwarming traditions that make the holiday season at our home truly magical. Coming together to bake gingerbread houses stands out as the biggest and most creative celebration for the youngest members of our family, and not only.
The Aroma of Christmas
Starting already by the end of November, our home has been filled with the delicious scent of ginger, cinnamon, and warm memories as we embark on the annual journey of crafting our own gingerbread masterpieces. This year we baked nearly 800 gingerbread cookies for the Annual VFN Charity Christmas party. But this was just the beginning.
No festive family gathering would be complete without baking our own gingerbread houses. As we gather around the kitchen table, the sweet sounds of carols and holiday tunes fill the air, providing the perfect soundtrack for our creative escapade.
Armed with bowls of colorful candies, icing, and an abundance of holiday spirit, we set out to bedazzle our gingerbread houses. Laughter and chatter fill the air as we share stories, exchange decorating tips, and, of course, sneak a few candies into our mouths along the way. It’s a time to bond, to create, and to revel in the joy of the season.
And here, we would like to share with you some basic recipe which we encourage you to try this holiday season!
GINGERBREAD HOUSE RECIPE
(for 1 Gingerbread house)
- 300g honey
- 75g sugar
- 2 packages of Vanilla sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon of gingerbread spice
- 1 egg
- 50g butter
- 600g flour
- 30g cocoa
- 3 teaspoon of baking powder
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- Warm up honey until it becomes liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and baking soda.
- Add the softened butter and egg to the dry ingredients. Pour in the liquid honey. Mix well until a firm dough forms.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/2 cm.
- Cut out the house pieces using a template or cookie cutters.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Bake the pieces for approximately 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Allow the baked pieces to cool completely overnight.
- For the icing, mix powdered sugar with egg whites until you achieve a thick, smooth consistency.
- Assemble the gingerbread house by using the icing as glue to stick the pieces together. Allow it to set.
- Decorate the gingerbread house with additional icing and any desired decorations.
Enjoy your homemade gingerbread house!