You’re ready to book your family, pregnancy or newborn photo session with a professional photographer and that’s fantastic, but the oversaturated market doesn’t make it very easy does it? Answering the following questions might help you narrow down the options so that you find the best photographer for you!
- What style of photography do you find yourself drawn to?
- Fine art photography or portraiture – Classic posed portraits usually require a studio set-up. Your photographer should have a great understanding of how to use and shape light and how to pose you in the most flattering way.
- Documentary photography – Your photographer would be just a fly on the wall, capturing a fraction of your day exactly the way it is without interfering in any way. A great documentary photographer has an exceptional sense for detail and can see and capture the beauty in the most ordinary of moments.
- Lifestyle photography – A lifestyle family photographer blends fine art and documentary work. He or she will focus on capturing candid moments while gently directing you in order to create beautiful, natural portraits.
- What is the editing style you love?
Do you like “bright and airy” photographs or do you prefer images that are darker and carry a certain mood? Are you a fan of vivid, rich colors or do you prefer classic, grainy film look? A photographer’s portfolio should give you a clear idea about his or her editing style. One of the signs of professional work is consistency – this gives you a guarantee of what to expect.
- How to find the best match based on personality?
Take your time to read through your chosen photographer’s website to get a better sense of his or her personality. You should be in-tune with each other so you end up having a great experience. Do you like what you see and read on the website? Great! The next step is to send a message or ask for a phone call to find out what it feels like to talk to the person on the other side. Still no doubts and your gut is saying yes? Congratulations! You found the right photographer for you!
- What makes a great family photographer?
- Photography skills – This is the technical aspect of the work. Are the images in focus? Are the photos professionally retouched? Is the photographer’s portfolio consistent style-wise and theme-wise or do you find his or her work “all over the place?”
- Customer service – Your photographer should be available for a pre-session consultation and to answer any questions you might have. You should also get a clear idea about when and how you will receive your images.
- Experience with children – Knowing how to work with children and being sensitive to their personalities is a recipe for great images capturing your loved ones exactly the way you want to remember them. It is important to keep in mind that it is your photographer’s job to make you all feel comfortable in front of the camera.
- What should I consider when it comes to the budget?
Investing into a professional photo session is one of the very few investments you will make that is guaranteed to grow in value over a time. What price tag would you put on your newborn baby images in 30 years? How much will your children value pictures of you when you are not around anymore? It goes from € to priceless.
The investment your photographer asks for reflects, besides many other factors, his or her professional experience. Keep in mind that you are less likely to expect a negative surprise or scam from a registered, licensed and well-established business with many positive public reviews. Choose the no stress, no regrets way!
- References, reviews and word of mouth
You may ask your friends for recommendations or hop online to check whether there are any reviews available. Listen to or read what people have to say. Do the reviews sound good or do they sound exceptional? Follow all the above points and choose the right match and the right family photographer for you, so that you will leave not only with beautiful pictures, but also with a great experience you will want to repeat.
Romana Maalouf is a VFN member, mother and professional family photographer based in Vienna. She set out on a mission to capture the fleeting moments of childhood in their most authentic form, so that they are never forgotten.
Romana offers photo sessions on Pregnancy, Newborn (in-home), Family; and she also loves to support entrepreneurs via virtual storytelling through her personal branding photos. All about Romana’s work can be found at: www.romanamaalouf.com
“Because one day…100 years from now these images will be a reminder that we lived, we loved and we mattered.”